Sunday, November 06, 2005

Disappointment

I finished my circular shrug today (except sewing in the ends) and I'm not sure if I'm happy with it. It turned out a bit too large and sort of hangs and doesn't have much shape. I do like the buttons which I sewed on to some kind of pin back that I found in the jewelry making section of the craft store. I just don't know.

The one good thing about this project was that I successfully used mattress stitch for the first time. It was easy enough but I detest any form of sewing, hence why the ends still aren't sewn in. I rarely knit anything with seams and have used a crochet seam in the past which works but admittedly mattress stitch is much better. I'll still try to avoid it at all costs and when I start making sweaters they will be seamless. I remember reading EZ's Knitting Without Tears for the first time nodding my head and smiling at someone who has such a similar knitting philosophy to my own.



The yarn I ordered so long ago finally came and I picked it up yesterday. I ordered two skeins of Brown Sheep Co. Lambs Pride Superwash, one bulky, one worsted. When I picked up the yarn I thought the wrong thing had been ordered for me as I could barely tell the bulky from the worsted. I have used the bulky yarn for projects before and I loved how thick and soft it was. But the skein I received had really thin plies that were easily separating by themselves. You can see how much difference there is between left overs of Superwash bulky that I had (grey yarns) and the new skein of pink. I think it's aran weight at best. I don't know what to do. I need it for the project I was going to use it for, but it just won't work if it's not bulky. I've emailed Brown Sheep Co. so we'll see what happens. Otherwise I guess I'll have to try and return it and figure out something else. Talk about disappointing...



I really need a quick satisfying project. The one I had planned for this yarn would have been just that, but it's turned into something stressful as I really don't have time to deal with this and find another suitable yarn in the right color. I'll stop complaining and try to salvage the rest of the day by eating and watching tv. That usually works.

1 Comments:

Blogger jess said...

i really like your circular shrug, actually. the fit is similar to the UO original, and to be honest i think many of the ones i've seen have been too small. take heart - it's a nice comfy vesty thing!

you can always move the buttons to the inside of the flap and extend the fold of the collar down if you want it to fit more tightly, too.

jess
(guessica from craftster)

12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home