Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Why? WHY?!?

Things were going great, or so I thought. Then that point came. The point where you want to keep going, pretending nothing's wrong, but you finally realize you can't ignore that what you're knitting is the wrong size. Damn! I ripped this thing out twice already because weaving just wasn't working; no matter what I did the white yarn would show between some of the black stitches and I just couldn't have that. So, I started stranding. That fixed the color problem, but after knitting the cuff and several rows of the hand, I realized that this mitten is gigantic and my gauge is for the large size. I had planned on knitting the medium size, and was using the needles called for, US size 2. I think now that I will have to go down to size 0 needles and make the smallest size.



Anyway, I wanted to post SOMETHING, because I have been spending fruitless hours on this thing, so here's a picture of the cuff. I was pretty happy with it. There are a few places where my dpns meet where I think the floats were just a tiny bit tight. I was really hoping to finish the first mitten this weekend, but I think I'm going to hold off for a few days before I restart it and work on something else. I guess I'll just have to chalk this third false start up to experience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Katie, did you try making a swatch beforehand? I found that with the 2-color knitting I had to drop 1 needle size down. Do try a swatch beforehand. If you don't want to go past size 0, then knit with the smallest size needle you have and you'll just have to try shrinking it in the dryer. See if that works. Good luck, and don't give up!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I'm also in the Norwegian KAL. The problem I had regarding size is the exact opposite of yours: I made medium-sized Vinternatt mittens, and they're really snug. I haven't worn mittens since I was a kid, but aren't they supposed to be roomy? Hmm, maybe my hands are really big...
I was surprised that the Nordic Fiber Arts patterns don't have a schematic diagram with exact measurements. It would certainly help you right now! I hope you don't have to switch to US 0s. That's really tiny.
Good luck!

8:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home