Thursday, December 08, 2005

One Down (Mostly), One To Go




I finished my first mitten today except the thumb, since it's my habit to do both thumbs at the same time. You can see in the picture on the left the toothpicks I knit this with. My gauge ended up a stitch per inch more than the smallest size in the pattern, but they fit me perfectly and I think will be a better fit for my Grandma as well.
This was definitely a learning process, and it took a while to get comfortable knitting with such tiny needles and I'm still not completely used to it. Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. It's slow going, but my favorite part of this fair isle business is holding your work back and taking a look after several rows and realizing how lovely the pattern is turning out. I've got the last mitten to knit and I'll be done with my Christmas knitting! I feel bad saying this, but I really don't like knitting for other people, it's so uncertain. Will it fit? Will they like it? And I can't wait to start knitting for myself again. Unless there are requests I don't think I'll be doing much knitting next Christmas!

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's how it always is with knitting for other people. But I've found that handmade gifts are for the most part treasured by the recipients, because they were made specially for them! Don't worry too much, I'm sure whoever's getting these will like them. If not, send them to me! ;-)

3:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are beautiful! I made the same mittens with the same colors. I keep a knitting gift box with various finished knitted items. Then when it is time for a gift I let the recipient pick something out of the box. I am always amazed because they NEVER pick what I think they would like!

5:33 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

Your mitten is beautiful! Totally worth the headaches.
I have to admit to being a process knitter and, like Nanette, I let people pick from my FO pile. My sleek and modern aunt swooned when she saw a traditional lace shawl. Who knew?

8:29 AM  
Blogger Strikkelise said...

That is a very beautiful mitten.

6:43 PM  
Blogger Julsey said...

OOOH those mittens look like they take a lot of work! Very nice!

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home