Monday, January 23, 2006

Cable Hat and Mitten Set



Pattern (hat): Coronet
Yarn: worsted wool/alpaca
Needles: US 8 dpns and circular

I made this set for my sister for Christmas and just finished sewing in the ends this weekend. Pathetic, I know, but I do like how they turned out. Unfortunately, I have no idea what brand of yarn I used; I must have thrown the labels away.



Pattern: Cabled Mittens from Woman's Day
Yarn: bulky wool/alpaca
Needles: US 10.5 dpns

I altered this pattern a bit, but I really like how these mittens turned out. The pattern was written to be knit back and forth and then sewn on the side - that was the first obvious change. Instead I used dpns, which worked out perfectly. I just made sure all the cable pattern stitches were on one needle. Because my sister has long, slender fingers, I did one extra repeat of the cable pattern. Finally, I grafted the top twelve stitches together rather than running the yarn through the last stitches so the cable pattern wouldn't be all bunched up at the top. I think they look really cute on her. Now, if I could just sew in the ends of my mom's present, I'd be completely done with my Christmas knitting...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home