Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Apple Fest



This weekend my mom, my sister and I went to Bayfield for the Apple Festival. None of us had gone before, and it was probably a good weekend for our first time as it was cool and cloudy keeping the large crowd from becoming massive. Our trip got off to a good start as the first orchard/winery we stopped at had a wine tasting of all the apple and berry wines they locally produce. We each found a favorite and bought a bottle, mine was Schneewitchen, an apple wine made in an apparently traditional German fashion. Naturally I visited every yarn shop I passed, and bought three balls of Rowan Pure Wool on sale that I'll use for yet another pair of mittens - this time the cabled Aran mittens from Folk Mittens.



We all enjoyed Apple Fest, but also agreed that we could do without the throng of people and vendors cramming every inch of the streets. I think next year I'll go a week or two before the actual festival and visit the orchards at my leisure. For now I'm excited for some free time to get to baking with my Cortland apples and get some knitting done.

2 Comments:

Blogger Guinifer said...

We have a cabin just south of Hayward and we were there for the Cranberry Festival on Saturday. The weather was quite miserable. We made plans to go to the Apple Fest in Bayfield next year, but we'll go on Friday instead of Saturday to try to avoid the larger crowds. Which yarn shops did you stop at?

6:25 AM  
Blogger katie said...

I stopped at Brownstone Centre in Bayfield which has a really nice yarn shop upstairs. I also stopped at the tiny shop on Madeleine Island. Other gift shops and local vendors at the festival sell yarn too, including yarn locally spun and dyed from sheep on Mad. Island.

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home